1 month ago
Congratulations! you have reached the end of exams. We are incredibly proud of you & hope you have fantastic holiday ✨ ... See MoreSee Less
2 months ago
Have a productive exam season & splendid holiday!
Be on the lookout for our upcoming events next semester. ... See MoreSee Less
Women in Computer Science, UCT added 31 new photos.
3 months ago
Our 24 hour Womxn’s Hackathon was a resounding success!
The theme of the day was:
Mental Health & Wellness: Tools for living, support, awareness & success.
After, a rigorous 24 hours of coffee, redbull, mentoring, design & code, the teams presented their innovative solutions.
1. WildCards presented My Guardian, an app aimed at using geo-locations to reroute & navigate travels based on crime statistics
2. Coders At Heart presented WITHIN, an app aimed at assisting the navigation of anxiety through calming exercises, and a game.
3. Ctrl-Alt-Elite presented Lift, a website aimed at connected mental health care professionals to patients, as well as providing information to raise awareness about mental illness in underprivileged communities.
4. Memeza presented Memeza, a website aimed at lifting the spirits of the those suffering with mental illness but more than anything, providing them with a platform where they can create communities, access support groups and assistance in their areas.
5. Wolf presented Here2Help, an AI chatbot aimed at learning about the user in order to provide basic counselling to eventually escalate serious cases to mental health care professionals.
After some rigorous adjudication, as well as tough questions from both the judges & audience, the judges were faced with the difficult decision of choosing the winners.
3rd place 🥉 went to Coders Heart for their app WITHIN aimed at assisting people with navigating anxiety through relaxing exercises & a calming game of tictactoe where you always win!
2nd place 🥈 went to Memeza for their website, Memeza, a platform for people suffering with mental illness can look for assistance in their areas, join a community of survivors as well as use laughter as a form of medicine.
and...the winners 🥇 were Wilcard for their app My Guradian, aimed a alleviating the anxiety of people traveling alone by allowing them to use their geo-location to route & reroute their paths according to crime statistics is each location
The winning team won R15000 & 4 Echo Dot devices with R3500 for 2nd place & R 1500 for 3rd place.
A big thank you to Amazon Web Services for sponsoring the prizes & assisting with the mentoring of the teams! Another big thank you to WhereIsMyTransport , Akro Capital & Facebook Developers Circles for sponsoring this event. It wouldn’t have been possible without you!
Thank you to our mentors for the hours they put in, as well as the impact they made in the lives of each one of the teams
Thank you to the judges for analysing all the ideas, asking the tough questions and making the difficult decision of choosing a winner.
Finally, thank you to the young women who participated. You showed strength & resilience, coded through the night and in the end, brought great ideas and enthusiasm forward. We appreciate your efforts, and would love you to continue coding until infinity & beyond!
Thank you to Lorna Kay for the wonderful photos.
Be on look out for our next event! In the mean time, please follow us on Twitter @Wics_UCT & Instagram @wics_uct
The WiCS UCT Team ... See MoreSee Less